Perl Unicode libraries (was: Re: Casefolding Sigma)

Kenneth Whistler kenw at sybase.com
Tue Jan 29 21:48:03 CET 2008

Patrik noted:

> P.S. I have though found some more bugs in my script(s) that generate
> the non-normative tables in the tables document. I have because of
> that now falled back from using my own code to use the Unicode
> libraries in perl. If people know about any problems with that, let me
> know.

I don't personally know of any problems with Unicode::Normalize
or Unicode::UCD in Perl, but if you use those library modules,
you need to be aware of the version-dependence and its
relation to Unicode versions. See, for example:

http://perldoc.perl.org/Unicode/Normalize.html

and scan down to the caveats section. That shows the table
mapping the perl version to its implemented Unicode version.

So if you are building the tables in the tables document
by calling the perl modules for property values and
normalization, you are implicitly building it for a
particular version of Unicode, dependent on which version
of perl you are using.

--Ken