ALWAYS/MAYBE and CJK (was: Re: IDNAbis Main Open Issues)

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Jan 24 01:03:41 CET 2008

Michael Everson wrote:
> I was cheered by what Gervase said about displaying final sigma. I hope
> that the Mozilla and Safari and IE get together and agree on a method to
> do the right thing for the Greeks.

I can't bind any of those organisations, even my own, but if it turns
out that the final-sigma problem is intractable at the protocol level
(and perhaps esszet as well, I don't know), and it's clear that we're
not opening an enormous can of worms which will lead to proliferating
special-case code, then if it helps us get this done quicker, the
IDN200x standard can punt on the issues and we can attempt to reach a
consensus higher up.

It seems to me that final sigma's a fairly easy case, as the rules are
simple. On lookup, s/<final sigma>/<normal sigma>/. On display,
s/<normal sigma at end of label>/<final sigma>/. Other troublesome edge
cases may not be so easy.

Gerv