Casefolding Sigma (was: Re: IDNAbis Preprocessing Draft)

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Wed Jan 23 07:14:47 CET 2008

At 21:29 08/01/22, Vint Cerf wrote:
>ietf will be blamed for every abuse that can be traced to overly
>permissive application of Unicode. Every design choice IS policy,
>even if you do not seem to see it that way.

Actually, I fully agree. However, the ietf will also be blamed for
every case where it's standards lead to results that are considered
to disregard (replace 'disregard' with stronger words if you want;
probably stronger words will be used by the people affected) culture
and customs. In this sense again, every design choice IS policy,
even if it might not look that way.

What we have to try to do is to find the best middle ground,
not to design only in one direction.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp