Casefolding Sigma (was: Re: IDNAbis Preprocessing Draft)

JFCM jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue Jan 22 18:09:43 CET 2008

At 13:29 22/01/2008, Vint Cerf wrote:
>ietf will be blamed for every abuse that can be traced to overly
>permissive application of Unicode. Every design choice IS policy,
>even if you do not seem to see it that way.
>vint

Dear Vint,
for the time being the IETF is blamed for not delivering a working
solution after so many years, trying to make the DNS fit Unicode or
Unicode fit the DNS. Since most of the problems can be traced to the
choice of Unicode, which is not a solution designed for the job, the
IETF is actually blamed for not at least _also_ at least _trying_ to
find or build a better solution for the job. I explained two: one
changing Unicode, one dividing the problems. There is a third simpler
one we all know: to remove the IETF/ICANN from the loop,
acknowledging the heterarchic nature of the semantic space, as being
beyond the IETF scope. I am afraid Stephane only says what all the
TLD Managers want.
jfc