IDNAbis Main Open Issues

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Jan 21 09:43:17 CET 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:33:51AM -0800,
 Mark Davis <mark.davis at icu-project.org> wrote
 a message of 193 lines which said:

> My recommendation is and has been: permit all characters from all
> modern scripts.

You explained very well the problems with the ALWAYS/MAY BE/NEVER
approach and, for the record, I want to say that this entire approach
is flawed and should probably be abandoned.

In the case (I hope not) where IDNAbis is adopted by the IETF (I hope
not), your proposal is a reasonable way to limit the problems it will
bring.

> With any new version of Unicode, a company like Apple, Google, or
> Microsoft updates its software to use that version, and characters
> become acceptable that were not previously.

Yes, the biggest problem with the IDNAbis change, it that restrictions
which were in the registry are now in the resolver, which means that,
in practice, it will be impossible to add new scripts or characters,
because it is not feasible to upgrade all the programs.