Comments on IDNA Bidi

Michel Suignard michelsu at windows.microsoft.com
Wed Jan 16 19:07:02 CET 2008

Please don't confuse the bidi terminology more than it needs to be. There is no difference between display and visual order, except that I would agree with Cary that display order is probably a better term and in fact Unicode uses the 'display' term more often than 'visual'. However the visual order (or visual representation) term has been used in documents related to bidirectionality for a long time. I came across that term since the late 80s when general purpose Operating Systems I was dealing with started to implement bidirectional handling and it was used frequently by the bidi experts at that time (mostly from IBM) and the logical versus visual order comparison has taken root since then. So in practice 'visual' and 'display' order tends to be used interchangeably.

In addition, what is referred in the message below as 'display order' is unclear to me. What is registered is for sure what everybody else would call 'logical order'. Unicode is not a standard to just manage what you called 'display order'. See page 19 of the Unicode standard 5.0 for further details concerning logical order and the interaction with readable (displayed) text. Keyboard order is another beast altogether as it depends on the input method editor you use and varies a lot among implementation of writing systems input.

<rant>
And please stop to try to put a wedge between ISO 10646 and Unicode. ISO 10646 for the longest time has had normative references to the Unicode bidi algorithm and the normalizations forms and both standards are more and more aligned not only in content and terminology (I guess I should know being project editor for 10646).
</rant>

For the foreseeable future there is no alternative to the Unicode/10646 tandem, we can improve and there is room for that, but trying to create a new paradigm does not seem a useful exercise to me.

Sorry for this slightly out of topic set of remarks.

Michel