Label separators (was: Re: Urdu and SPACE, FULL STOP (Re: comments on IDNAbis: draft-faltstrom-idnabis-tables-04.txt Arabic))

YAO Jiankang yaojk at cnnic.cn
Mon Feb 25 02:51:05 CET 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "John C Klensin" <klensin at jck.com>
To: "Sarmad Hussain" <sarmad.hussain at nu.edu.pk>
Cc: <idna-update at alvestrand.no>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 1:15 AM
Subject: Label separators (was: Re: Urdu and SPACE, FULL STOP (Re: comments on IDNAbis: draft-faltstrom-idnabis-tables-04.txt Arabic))

> The IDNA200X version is equivalent to "the only valid label
> separator on the wire or in interchange is ASCII period.
> However, since we have prohibited all other punctuation
> characters (other than hyphen) from ever actually appearing in a
> domain name, if you need to use a convention locally to permit
> easier typing of that character, you can substitute any
> convenient punctuation (or other disallowed) character for it...

if future  IDNA200X version does not allow other label separator except the ASCII period, the IDNA application such as IE browser would not support other label separator and would  regard these separators as illegal ones.

you said "if you need to use a convention locally to permit
 easier typing of that character, you can substitute any
convenient punctuation (or other disallowed) character for it...",
I am a little afraid of how we can do it without the support of IDNA200X version ?
 Install some plug in to translate these separators into ASCII period
before we store them in a file or transmit them on the wire?

YAO Jiankang
CNNIC