I-D Action:draft-alvestrand-idna-bidi-04.txt (fwd)

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Mon Feb 18 18:56:01 CET 2008

As far as confusing or dangerous display is concerned, we have a
spectrum of issues. At one extreme, we have some very simple rules to
prohibit the most egregious cases, such as U+2044 and U+2215 (which
look like the slash '/'). At the other extreme, we may have some
potentially very complicated rules in resolvers for allowing the
display of a mixture of certain scripts under some circumstances (e.g.
Latin and Cyrillic, as long as there is a hyphen between the two,
etc).

IDNA200X leaves it up to the resolver to warn about such confusing
names, but the resolver MUST look up the name if it is asked to do so.

So, IDNA200X has to draw the line somewhere between "very simple
rules" and "potentially very complicated rules". My gut feeling is
that the current IDNA200X bidi rules are already complicated enough.
We probably don't want to make them more complicated.

A resolver implementation is free to have more complicated rules about
when to "warn" about confusing bidi displays, but it MUST look up the
name if it is asked to do so.

As we gain more experience with registries and resolvers, we may have
to tighten up or loosen the rules as we proceed along the Standards
Track from Proposed to Draft and then to Standard.

Erik