document on idn cctld names

Michel Suignard michelsu at windows.microsoft.com
Thu Feb 14 04:14:10 CET 2008

<<
I see mention of Sinhala, Myanmar and Arabic scripts in the section on
ZWJ/ZWNJ. Does anyone know the full list of scripts that might be
specified in the contextual rule for ZWJ/ZWNJ?

Hi Erik,
In the context of IDN cctld, only Sinhala is fully relevant (afaik). Myanmar could be, but frankly with Unicode 5.1 adding a character to remove the need for it, it makes sense to encode the country name using the new character (I have a note about that in the document). My understanding of the Myanmar update is that it removes the need for Joiners in the Myanmar script through the addition of U+103A MYAMAR SIGN ASAT.

Concerning Arabic script, again, I don't think ZWNJ affects cctlds, but will of course affect many other Persian words (usable in label) in a semantic way. So it is a matter of determining whether it is worth the risk.

With Sinhala, it is obviously in your face with the country name itself having the issue.

Michel