recommending URIs, A-labels and LDH-labels in HTML

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Fri Feb 1 06:12:12 CET 2008

--On Thursday, 31 January, 2008 23:59 -0500 Vint Cerf
<vint at google.com> wrote:

> yes this comes from having two equivalent representations of
> the same thing... I wonder how many of these gotcha's are
> waiting?

As you have heard me say before, I believe that IDNs will act as
an amplifier along almost every dimension.   We have the
potential for name confusion and phishing problems with ASCII
addresses; IDNs don't invent that problem but will make it much
worse.  We have the problem of appropriate registration
restrictions based on trademarks, place names, etc.; IDNs make
that much worse and more complicated.  We have difficulties with
information in registration databases; IDN registrations may
increase the odds of information that is unusable.  We have
problems that people want to resolve by making two DNS names
equivalent despite the DNS's fairly weak models for aliasing;
IDNs increase the number of reasons to want to do that.

IDNs are not much different along most of these dimensions, just
orders of magnitude works for many of them.