Implementation questions (digressing from...)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Wed Dec 24 16:42:46 CET 2008

If we were to recommend choice (4), which seems to capture the spirit
of IDNA2008 most closely, could the previous behavior be captured by
zone operators through the use of CNAME entries that explicitly
bundle "ss" and "esszet" for those instances where it was the case
under IDNA2003 that "esszet" was mapped into "ss" at registration and
lookup time?

Plainly this requires notice to or at least notice by "registrants"
that the introduction of "esszet" without automatic mapping
"requires" them to bundle both if it is desired to maintain the
behavior that had been induced by mapping under IDNA2003.

Vint Cerf
Google
1818 Library Street, Suite 400
Reston, VA 20190