Implementation questions (digressing from...)

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Tue Dec 23 21:38:29 CET 2008

I am far from as sanguine as you are about this change. If we could pull a
magic switch that converted everyone (registries and all lookup programs)
from 2003 to 2008 at once, these 4 characters wouldn't be a problem. Sadly,
we are going to have a mixture for the indefinite future, and having an IRI
go to two different locations depending on the particular program -- or
version or program -- in use: that is a very significant interoperability
and security problem.

Along the lines of what you are talking about, I think one way to solve the
problem is to have a requirement on registries in the protocol, that
whenever two strings differ only by these characters, that they must either
bundle or block.

Mark