consensus item - "IDNA2008"

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Sun Dec 21 18:41:45 CET 2008

--On Sunday, 21 December, 2008 09:00 -0800 Paul Hoffman
<phoffman at imc.org> wrote:

> At 9:36 AM -0500 12/21/08, Vint Cerf wrote:
>> May I assume concurrence?
>
> No. John had a much better suggestion: wait until we are
> nearly finished and discuss it then. I concurred on the list
> with John's suggestion, and I think others did as well.

Paul, with the understanding that I can live with it either way
--and that the suggestion was an attempt to see if we could
focus on getting the more substantive issues resolved before
spending too much more time on editorial details-- I'd like to
understand your reasoning.   I think Vint's suggestion (perhaps
modulo the comment in my note) is reasonable.  Do you see a need
to have a last-minute debate on this if we can reach agreement?
If so, why?

If we cannot quickly reach agreement, I still prefer "wait until
we are nearly finished".  But I don't see a problem with asking
the question.

best,