consensus item - "IDNA2008"

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Sun Dec 21 17:35:00 CET 2008

--On Sunday, 21 December, 2008 09:36 -0500 Vint Cerf
<vint at google.com> wrote:

> Although we may not finalize all consensus items until early
> in 2009, I would like to ask for consensus to stick with the
> "IDNA2008" nomenclature for two reasons:
>
> 1. the bulk of the work has been done in that year
> 2. the term clearly distinguishes IDNA2008 from IDNA2003
>
> I recognize that suggestions have been made to rename the work
> "IDNA" or "IDNA2009" but it seems to me that we have a body of
> material (draft I-Ds and list commentary) that references
> "IDNA2008" and that it serves clarity to retain the binding.
>
> May I assume concurrence?

Vint,

Yes.

But let me suggest a small distinction, one that is consistent
with how the documents are written (and have been written since
the WG's inception).

Name of Protocol: IDNA
Name of/ Reference to this particular version: IDNA2008

That means that we don't have sentences contrasting "IDNA" with
"IDNA2003" (which would be extremely confusing), arguments down
the line as to whether these are actually two difference and
co-existent or competitive protocols (they clearly are not), etc.