comments on Definitions -05

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sun Dec 21 16:14:08 CET 2008

draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-05.txt

section 1.3 bullet point 5

That
       specifications obsoletes RFC 3941 and IDN use of the tables to
       which it refers.  It is referred to informally in other documents
       in the set as "Tables".

"specifications" -> "specification"

=======

section 2.3.1.1

A string meeting
       that above requirements is still not an A-label unless it can be
       decoded into a U-label.

"that above" -> "the above"

========

section 2.3.1.6

Figure 1 really helps me and is a great reference - I hope others
find that to be true as well.

==========

section 2.3.3

  That order is equivalent to the leftmost character being
    treated as first in a label that is read left-to-right and to the
    righmost character being first in a label that is read right-to-
left.

"righmost" -> "rightmost"

=======

section 4.1

Domain names are used by users to identify and connect to Internet
    servers.

I would have thought the term "hosts" rather than "servers" would
have been more appropriate?

==========

section 4.5

For example, putative labels that contain
    unassigned code points will now be rejected, while IDNA2003
permitted
    them (something that is now recognized as a considerable source of
    risk).

perhaps this is a place to put in the additional explanatory material
about the risks of permitting lookup of labels containing unassigned
code points?

=========

section A.6

notable incorporation of figure 1 to aid understanding of classes of
labels.

Vint Cerf
Google
1818 Library Street, Suite 400