IANA actions and tables document

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Fri Dec 12 16:55:33 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 12:21 AM, Martin Duerst <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
> Or implemeter A might just
> go ahead and implement the new version from Unicode based
> on the changed properties, and the there will be incompatibilities
> between versions.

This seems quite likely. If we don't already have warnings about this
in the draft(s), we should probably add them.

However, I agree with Patrik and John that, the first time Unicode
changes in a way that would change the IDNA value from PVALID to
DISALLOWED or vice versa, there should be some IETF action to review
the situation.

Yes, we do have to worry about changes from DISALLOWED to PVALID
because some implementations may be written in such a way that it
becomes difficult to start using the newly PVALID character on the
Internet. For example, MSIE7 refuses to lookup Punycode labels
constructed from Unicode strings containing sharp-s.

Erik