IDNA2008: concerns about inconsistent mappings, and german sharp s

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Fri Dec 12 13:20:32 CET 2008

--On Thursday, 11 December, 2008 16:05 -0800 Lisa Dusseault
<lisa.dusseault at gmail.com> wrote:

> This conclusion came from the  "Tranche 8" outcome, right?
> Based on your summary, we still need to provide the advice for
> registries around that.  I don't know how obvious that can be
> made when somebody is looking at the new rules for Eszett, but
> it might help readers figure out that what the standard can do
> is limited, and what issues have to be dealt with by
> registries.

Lisa,

There is a first cut at exactly that advice in
draft-ietf-idnabis-rationale-05.  So far, there have been no
comments from the WG on that text.  I've tuned it slightly for
better readability in the working draft for -06, but the text is
not substantively different.  I hope to get -06 posted today or
tomorrow (it was slightly delayed because I thought it was more
important to get the version of defs with the consolidated
Security Considerations material up first).  If people have
addition suggestions, they could made -06 if they got to the
list soon and received general support.