Tables: BackwardCompatible Maintanence

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Wed Dec 10 14:50:50 CET 2008

Yes, of course they are different in kind. All I'm saying is that if
the Unicode community decided that their change was important enough
to make, then the DNS community may decide that it is important enough
to make a change from PVALID to DISALLOWED or vice versa. I.e. the DNS
community may decide that the old value was wrong. (Things have been
wrong before -- see eszett, final sigma and ZW*; can we guarantee not
to make mistakes this time?)

Shouldn't the DNS community be given some time to consider such a
change before automatically updating the BackwardCompatible category?

Erik