Tables: BackwardCompatible Maintanence

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Tue Dec 9 12:39:22 CET 2008

I am still missing input from wg participants on this very large change.

The problem for me is that I have problems saying exactly to IANA what
they should do. I do, as I said last time in Minneapolis, that I am
extremely nervous over changes like these. When is IANA to add things,
and how? Do we really know IANA should add every difference to the
backward compatibility list? I have seen enough discussions that say
"some changes should be possible to make".

Overall, there is a reason Unicode Consortium is making a very very
rare change that create a non-backward compatible change for IDNA. I
am personally very nervous telling IANA that the backward compatible
list is absolute. I really want IETF process to have a look at that
very rare change and decide what should be done. Either add to
backward compatibility list, or do something else. Maybe change from
PVALID to CONTEXT.

But, as editor, the problem I have is that I see Mark's suggestion,
and I hear my own personal argument against Marks suggestion. Then
support from Ken saying he does not see any problem with Mark's
suggestion.

As Editor, I would like to get more input.

And as individual, I once again say that the rules are very easy to
relax later on, but not the other way around.

    Patrik