Protocol-08 (and status of Defs-04 and Rationale-06)

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Mon Dec 8 03:14:03 CET 2008

Just to make sure we are all on the same page, the digits in question are
the following.
(European) U+0030 DIGIT
ZERO...<http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/ubrowse?ch=0030#here>
0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

Arabic-Indic digits: U+0660 ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT
ZERO...<http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/ubrowse?ch=0660#here>
 ٠  ١  ٢  ٣  ٤  ٥  ٦  ٧  ٨  ٩
Extended Arabic-Indic digits: U+06F0 EXTENDED ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT
ZERO...<http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/ubrowse?ch=06F0#here>
 ۰  ۱  ۲  ۳  ۴  ۵  ۶  ۷  ۸  ۹

Various Indic digits: U+0966 DEVANAGARI DIGIT
ZERO...<http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/ubrowse?k1=0966#here>
(Devanagari,
Gujarati, Tamil, ...)
०  १  २  ३  ४  ५  ६  ७  ८  ९

Unfortunately, Europeans often refer to European digits as "Arabic"
(indicating their source), and Arabs often refer to Arabic digits as "Indic"
(indicating their source). For that reason, the Unicode names for the Arabic
digits use "Arabic-Indic" instead of simply "Arabic". Importantly, the
Arabic digits should not be confused with true Indic digits, like those for
Devanagari, etc. So use of the above Unicode names is recommended to avoid
confusion.
So I believe what was meant was the following. (I added one more possible
option, #4, and added examples, pairing 'a' with European 9, 'b' with
Arabic-Indic 9, and 'c' with Extended Arabic-Indic 9. Thus "b٩" below is
using the U+0669 ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT
NINE<http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/ubrowse?k1=0669#here> while
"c۹" is using the U+06F9 EXTENDED ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT
NINE<http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/ubrowse?k1=06F9#here>
.)

   1. forbid at protocol level using context rules the mixing of
   Arabic-Indic, Extended-Arabic-Indic and European digits in any combination.
      - forbid {a9b٩, a9c۹, b٩c۹}
      2. forbid at protocol level using context rules the mixing of
   Arabic-Indic with European and separately forbid mixing
   Extended-Arabic-Indic with European (but allow mixing Arabic-Indic
   and Extended-Arabic-Indic).
   - forbid {a9b٩, a9c۹}, but allow {b٩c۹}
      3. do not forbid use of digits at protocol level but use registry
   filters implemented by each registry.
   4. forbid at protocol level using context rules the mixing of
   Arabic-Indic with Extended-Arabic-Indic (but allow the mixing of either one
   alone with European digits).
   - forbid {b٩c۹}, but allow {a9b٩, a9c۹}

Mark