Mapping other Digits to 0-9

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Sun Dec 7 08:27:09 CET 2008

At 04:50 08/12/06, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 11:26:32AM -0800, Shawn Steele wrote:
>
>> That's fine, but then I'm confused about what the discussion of the
>> Arabic digits is?  Is it just to disallow Arabic digits?
>> (Disallowing them implies to me that someone would map them.)  In
>> either case this isn't just Arabic digits, we allow mapping of
>> digits for other scripts as well.
>
>No, I believe what we are discussing is adding a context rule to the
>protocol that says, "If a label contains a code point in $somerange,
>it must not also contain any code point for $otherrange."  The
>discussion is (1) whether to add this at all and (2) if adding it is
>ok, what the values of $somerange and $otherrange should be.

Yes, that's what the discussion has been about, but just recently,
we got reminded that the problem isn't spoofing (for which restrictions
of the above type can be quite efficient, although not perfect), but
input conversions. For input conversions, the appopriate solution,
if any, is to add mapping to the protocol, but we (or whoever)
decided earlier on that mapping wouldn't be part of the protocol.

The summary is that we are discussing a proposal (restrictions
of the above type) that is essentially unrelated (except by fuzzy
arguments like "let's at least do something") to the problem at
hand.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp