Issues lists and the "preprocessing" topic

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Thu Aug 21 01:59:00 CEST 2008

The direction of the IDNAbis specifications in making a clear separation
between what is in the "wire protocol" and what is more free-form text that
is mapped to the "wire protocol" (by casing and normalization) is good. But
I agree with Erik's points the mapping is far from just a UI issue -- the
mapping issue is all over the place (see previous messages).
Based on comments from John and others at the meeting, however, it appears
that the working group is fundamentally not interested in having a common
specification for a mapping phase be part of the IDNAbis, and that it would
be better done by organizations like Unicode or others. Based on that, I
modified the draft at http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfqr8rd5_51c3nrskcx, and
submitted it to the UTC for consideration. The UTC decided at its quarterly
meeting last week to post a draft specification based on that document for
public review and comment. I'll post to this list when that draft is
available.

Mark