Mapping (was: Issues lists and the "preprocessing" topic)

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Wed Aug 20 18:55:21 CEST 2008

The current IDNA spec is IDNA2003, and it includes the default
pre-processing steps. Now, IDNA200X is removing (the details of) the
pre-processing steps, so it ought to explain this major difference
between IDNA2003 and 200X. This explanation can mention the difference
between the "default" pre-processing (as seen in IDNA2003 and HTML
today) and the per-locale UI pre-processing such as Turkish
dotted/dotless uppercase 'i'. If the WG consensus is to leave out any
mention of UI pre-processing, that is fine, but I think it is quite
important that IDNA200X explain that the default pre-processing of
IDNA2003 has been removed.

Erik