Eszett (Sharp-S) - 3

Marcos Sanz/Denic sanz at denic.de
Mon Aug 11 08:59:12 CEST 2008

Mark,

> I can understand the desire for including ß, but I'm worried about the
compatibility and security aspects. An IDNA2003
> implementation will send "maße.com" to masse.com, while an IDNA2008
implementation will send it to "maße.com".

there is a compatibility issue anyway, since the alternative to your
scenario is an IDNA2008 implementation rejecting "maße.com" completely for
a DNS lookup.
That decission, namely, allowing "ß" for registration or not after
IDNA2008 has been widely deployed, is best left to the registry, who can
then opt for redirection of "maße.com" to "masse.com".

Best
Marcos