Filtering at lookup? (was: Re: Historic scripts as MAYBE?)

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Wed Apr 30 08:05:33 CEST 2008

I think I understand most positions in the Historic scripts as MAYBE?
thread now. But I think what hasn't been fully discussed is the assumption
that clients should/must filter domain names before resolving them,
and never resolve domain names containing DISALLOWED or UNASSIGNED
characters. This is quite different from IDNA 2003.

As far as I understand, John and Patrik in particular are very
convinced that this is necessary. But I, for one, am absolutely
not convinced this is necessary, and think that we need to have
a really serious discussion about it.

As far as I understand, there were mainly two kinds of arguments
for why clients must check:
1) It makes sure registries/registrars are kept in check, and
   have a strong incentive to not register disallowed or unassigned
   stuff.
2) It help deal with some edge cases related to normalization and
   such.

I personally think 1) has some validity, but I won't be convinced
before I see some reports of real examples that produced something
seriously undesirable.

As for 2), whenever I read such arguments, I always felt that they
were so convolved and exceptional that they didn't really make a
serious engineering argument.

Regards,    Martin.