Historic scripts as MAYBE?

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Mon Apr 28 19:46:51 CEST 2008

Patrik, we had this discussion at great length, some time ago, so I don't
want to repeat it. Let me just hit the high points.

   1. It is vital that the IDNA assignments do not fluctuate across
   releases of Unicode.
   2. The Compatibility category is designed to ensure that.

The Unicode properties are used by a huge number of clients, not just IDN,
and many of them prefer correctness over stability. So while stability is
very important, there will be times where the properties change. Ken sent
out a message with examples of what would have happened in the past.

That is *precisely* the reason for the Compatibility category of characters
in the IDNA table formulation, so that the IDNA properties can remain
absolutely stable even if Unicode has to change a bit in a given release.
There is no "crisis".

What I am talking about is something different; the ability for the IETF
itself (not Unicode) to change the values in the exception table, to a very
limited extent, and only in "exceptional" cases, with the same process as
used to update the CONTEXT tables -- without issuing an obsoleting RFC.

Mark

--
Mark