Stability of valid IDN labels
patrik at frobbit.se
Tue Apr 22 18:57:29 CEST 2008
On 22 apr 2008, at 18.52, John C Klensin wrote:
> If the Unicode decision were to make a
> change, there would be adequate time to review whether the
> codepoint should be added to the exception list to keep its IDN
> behavior stable.
John is absolutely correct, and I want to support what he says about
timing, how heavy the process is etc. But, I need to correct one small
thing. We have in the tables document a special "Backwards
compatibility list" that works exactly like the exception list, but is
a different (now empty) table. This so developers very clearly can see
what are the "kind of" overrides that are made for this specific reason.
Of course, if people do not think that is needed, I want to know...
But the *current* document has exactly this feature.
More information about the Idna-update