Stability of valid IDN labels

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Tue Apr 22 07:15:41 CEST 2008

On 21 apr 2008, at 22.20, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> So for practical purposes, isn't it enough to say, "Once a character
> is valid, it is valid forever," irrespective of whether it is in fact
> ever registered?

Personally I see it much much more rigid. Once a character have been
assigned in Unicode it will by definition get a derived property value
due to the algorithms defined in the IDNA200X documents. That value
can never change.

The original design team from the origin had a proposed "MAYBE"
category, but the consensus on this mailing list was to remove it. And
that created the situation that once a property value is calculated on
an assigned codepoint, it can not change.

    Patrik