Stability of valid IDN labels

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Sun Apr 20 01:26:43 CEST 2008

John C Klensin wrote:
> Mark,
>
> For better or worse, Eric is probably right.
I think I'll frame this.

However, the transformation from the universe of all two or fewer octet
sequences to the subset of ISO 3166-1-alpha-2 code values contained at
any point in time in the IANA root zone, whether an ugly table driven
kludge executed by people using ed(1), or a marvelous shiny syntax
validator, was an obviously poor attempt to ask about the temporal
properties of "valid" and "invalid" (and anything neither valid nor
invalid). Unfortunately I had to destroy the Soviet Union to no useful end.

This is my real interest, which is trying to get an understanding of
where "forever" and its cognates comes from, as it appears at first
glance to be significantly different from contracts of a commercially
reasonable duration, and may therefore constrain mechanisms that are
capable of being realized over "commercially reasonable durations".

Eric