ZWNJ and CONTEXT

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Mon Apr 7 17:22:45 CEST 2008

At 2:21 PM +0430 4/7/08, Alireza Saleh wrote:
>Hi,
>
>According to the new IDNA RFCs the ZWNJ and ZWJ are categorized as
>CONTEXTJ which they should have a contextual rule.  I haven't  find
>any rule in the RFC. Where should I find it ? Is it going to be
>proposed later ?

It is lightly defined now, and it will be fully proposed later.

>Is there any sample rule available that help us to suggest a
>suitable rule for usage of those characters in Arabic script.

The current rules are:

    200C; ZERO WIDTH NON-JOINER; T;
       Between two characters from the same script only.  The script must
       be one in which the use of this character causes significant
       visual transformation of one or both of the adjacent characters;
       [[anchor49: ...Regular expression form to be supplied]]

    200D; ZERO WIDTH JOINER; T;
       Between two characters from the same script only.  The script must
       be one in which the use of this character causes significant
       visual transformation of one or both of the adjacent characters;
       [[anchor50: ...Regular expression form to be supplied]]