IDNAprep proposal

Michel Suignard michelsu at windows.microsoft.com
Tue Mar 13 00:46:51 CET 2007

Please find a link to a document that summarize the idna string
preparation steps complementing the description already done in IDNABis.
It does not discuss the restricted repertoire issues that have been
abundantly discussed elsewhere in this list and follows the same
pre-conditions as IDNABis-01: case folding is external to the IDN string
preparation and unassigned code points are not allowed. I have repeated
here a few words I put in the document introduction to that effect.

<<

This document is aligned with the design proposed in [IDNABis] (Klensin,
J., "Proposed Issues and Changes for IDNA - An Overview," February
2007.) and aims at addressing the name processing steps described in
sections 3.2.1.3 to 3.2.1.5 (Registration) and 3.2.2.3 to 3.2.2.6
(Domain Name Resolution). It also addresses the right to left issue
described in section 6.3 and follows the design criteria described in
section 8.1. In other words this document should not be considered as a
competitive proposal to [IDNABis] but rather as a complementary piece.

The document is available at

http://www.unicode.org/~suignard/udraft-suignard-idnaprep-00.html

Feedback welcome

Michel