IDNs and Language definitions and labeling (was: RE: New version, draft-faltstrom-idnabis-tables-02.txt, available)

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Jun 22 15:10:06 CEST 2007

At 12:12 22/06/2007, Debbie Garside wrote:
>However, I can see that my ideas for allocating Unicode code points
>to the writing systems within ISO 639-6 does not meet the objectives
>of this particular forum;

Debbie,
your ideas are a need. But how, when, and where for the IETF is another story.

May I suggest you also to read the ICANN ICP-3 document and its
annexes (in particular by John Klensin).  This is the nearest thing
we have from a market demand analysis the IETF WG-IDNA Charter
requested as a pre-requisite. At the time choices were made because
some concepts seemed to oppose, that experience, analysis, and debate
could show otherwise (I think in particular to the UC class of John,
that several projects I know of are contemplating or actually
deploying, in a way that is actually transparent to the current
operations) [I am bound by professionnal non-disclosure but they are
easy to roughly imagine/indentify]

What you say is not far from ccTLD tables. This work of yours is
encouraged by the WSIS action pan (C8.23.o). But remember there is a
coopetition between the normative (you), algorithmic (patrick), and
linguistic (michael) points of view, that IMHO John can properly help
to organise and that ISO 3166-1:2006 provided an applied example of
how to use/extend it in a multilingual environment.

In this, the rigidity of your ISO NWIP can be a temporay fix to
Michael's and Patrick's objections in replacing an algorithm by a
(large well designed) table, but will be a problem if it is not
quickly encapsulated into a more general (Patrick) and adaptative
(Michael) clearly defined (you) system.

jfc