New version, draft-faltstrom-idnabis-tables-02.txt, available

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Jun 14 10:37:26 CEST 2007

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> A reasonable behaviour for a reasonable software implementor of software
> that won't be upgraded in 5 years would be:
>
> - Give a syntax error for attempts to type in IDNs with NEVER characters
> - Permit all others (you can't be sure where they will end up)
>
> OTOH, an online web-app provider might choose to regard all of MAYBE NOT
> as a syntax error, and bet on his ability to upgrade the software in the
> case where a MAYBE NOT character migrates to MAYBE YES or ALWAYS.

There seem to me to be an extremely large number of characters in MAYBE
YES and MAYBE NO, which corresponds to a great deal of uncertainty. I
agree with Mark that this seems highly undesirable.

Is it anticipated that more character sets will move into Stable/Favored
status before the release, thereby reducing this uncertainty? Or will it
be reduced some other way?

Gerv