New version, draft-faltstrom-idnabis-tables-02.txt, available

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue Jun 12 19:38:54 CEST 2007

At 19:02 12/06/2007, John C Klensin wrote:
>--On Tuesday, June 12, 2007 15:53 +0200 JFC Morfin <jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:
>>Dear Harald,
>>you obviously measure the political impact of such a
>>restriction not being very precisely documented.
>>IDNA made a distinction between countries on the ASCII TLD
>>basis. IMHO, if IDNAbis only enlarges the basis of this split,
>>the IGF will simply conclude that the global approach is
>>inadequate and call for another architecture.
>
>Jefsey,
>Regardless of anything else that is going on here, IDNA does not
>make any distinctions at all based on TLDs, ASCII or otherwise. It
>is a fairly fundamental consequence of the DNS design and
>architecture (having nothing specific to do with IDNs) that storage
>and lookup (matching) algorithms for fully-qualified names and the
>labels that make them up cannot depend on location in the hierarchy
>-- either depth or subtrees.  Any implementation of the DNS that
>assumes knowledge of the language, script, or other properties of a
>given label based on the label (TLD) at the top of its particular
>subtree is non-conforming and almost certainly will not interoperate
>well with other DNS implementations.

Full agreement.

My point was only that the IDNA does not intend to correct the fact
that "dior.cn" cannot be linguistically reciprocated easily by AFNIC
to a chinese competitor of Dior. It can therefore be considered as a
WTO TBT (Technical Barrier to Trade) and I understand that some
actions are considered or under consideration from what I read a few days ago.

I did not digest IDNAbis yet. It seems a top work. This is why I
suggested that documenting in detail the technical requirements and
their reasons, as well as the conditions to overcome them, could only
help its system acceptance and R&D cooperation, and decrease
political objections. The worst would be that another approach be
demanded now. While, if I am correct, IDNAbis does not preclude such
a further approach to be studied and benefit from the first
experience. Nothing more.

Best. jfc