Hangul jamo issues

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Thu Jan 4 22:22:37 CET 2007

Soobok Lee wrote:
>   NFKC maps these characters into Hangul Jamo Range 1100-11FF.

["these" being Compatibility Hangul Letters]

Yes, but that mapping is not particularly useful, it is (when seen in
its entirety)
indeed wrong (though it may work by luck, not by design, for certain
cases).

For a detailed exposition, see
http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2006/06310-hangul-decompose9.pdf,
and the associated data files
http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2006/06310-AuxiliaryKSX1001Decompositions-5.0
.0d3.txt
and
http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2006/06310-AuxiliaryHangulDecompositions-5.0.
0d3.txt.
You will find multiple decompositions (suitable for different
situations) for each of
the Hangul Compatibility Letters.

(If you cannot access "unicore" documents, I can send you copies in
personal emails.)

>   FFA0 === 3164 === U+1160 : compatibility equivalence for hangul
filler

Yes, but... While U+FFA0 and U+3164 are basically the same, U+1160 is a
completely
different thing, and has very different functionality from the first
two. Full story in
http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2006/06310-hangul-decompose9.pdf.

>   FFA1 === 3131 === U+1100 : compatibility equivalence for initial
KI-EOK
>   and so on.

Yes, but that is not the full story. Mostly U+3131 should be seen as
"equivalent" to
<U+1100, U+115F>, but sometimes it should also be mapped to U+11A8 in
addition
to U+1100. Full story in
http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2006/06310-hangul-decompose9.pdf.

> U+3164, U+1160, U+FFA0 Hangul Filler:
>  U+3164, U+1160 are displayed as blank space
>   in Windows.

Ideally, they should *not* be displayed as spaces. They are more akin
to control characters, and indeed they are listed as "default-ignorable"

in Unicode.

>  U+FFA0  Half-width Hangul Filler is displayed
>   as bold-faced middle dot in Windows.
>  Need cautions in displaying these characters.
>
> Both initial consonant U+1100 and
>  its final consonant correspondent U+11A8
>  are displayed in the exactly same glyph and margin in Windows.

Which is another bad idea. But Windows does not support Hangul Jamo
properly.

		/kent k