Table-building

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Thu Feb 1 22:49:21 CET 2007

On 1/31/07, Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald at alvestrand.no> wrote:
> The discussion has exposed literally dozens of cases where the answer to
> "should the property be true or false" is "We don't know yet".
>
> It is clearly stupid of any registry to allow the registraition of such
> characters, given that the property MAY end up false.
> It is equally stupid of any application developer to deny the attempt to
> lookup such characters, given that the property MAY end up true.

Somewhat related to this, MSIE7 currently does not allow the lookup of
a URL containing U+03F7 or U+03F8. Firefox 1.5, on the other hand,
will cheerfully lookup xn--mza or xn--nza, respectively, even though
U+03F7 has a lower-case mapping to U+03F8 in Unicode 4.0.

I think I prefer MSIE7's behavior.

Erik