Minimal IDNAbis requirements

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Sat Dec 22 03:35:50 CET 2007

John,

I agree that this was a useful exercise, and that it takes us pretty
close to where we are today with IDNA200X. I think it might also be
useful, not only for ourselves but also for future readers, to do the
opposite exercise, i.e. starting from the rules that Patrik, Ken and
Mark are writing, try to come up with a rationale for each rule.

I believe that the mathematical slashes (division/fraction signs) were
the ones that really got us to think about disallowing symbols and
punctuation, but that example is not sufficient to explain the whole
set away. Instead, we might say that the initial set of allowed
characters is purposely being limited to a "small" set in the
interests of being conservative, which is important in networking,
both at the machine level and at the human level.

We might even want to think of NEVER as being "probably never",
without actually writing that down. Future generations may well find
ways to introduce some of the symbols or even punctuation into IDNs
without causing any real harm.

By the way, I'm guessing from your lack of response to my suggestion
of a new term "V-label" for variants as supported in browsers today,
that you'd rather not legitimize these things by giving them an
official name. Fair enough. But it still would be good to get the
UTF-8 SMTP drafts to explicitly say whether U-labels are required, and
whether non-ASCII dots are allowed.

Erik