Standards and localization (was Dot-mapping)

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Sat Dec 8 19:39:50 CET 2007

Gervase and John,

Maybe I should not have focussed on the spoofing examples in my
previous email. This is not only a security issue. It is an
interoperability issue too. We have a number of possibilities for
IDNA200X:

(1) make the mappings (dots, case, nfkc) part of the protocol
(2) make them a normative reference
(3) make them an informative reference
(4) don't reference them at all

If the mappings are not in the protocol, they can be in a number of
different places:

(a) a normative or informative RFC in the IDNA200X series
(b) a normative or informative RFC outside the IDNA200X series
(c) the IDNA2003 series (unchanged)
(d) a normative or informative part of IRIbis
(e) a normative or informative part of HTML5

The further down these lists (1) to (4) and (a) to (e) you go, the
more danger there is of less interoperability and less security.

Erik