Standards and localization (was Dot-mapping)

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Sat Dec 8 18:30:57 CET 2007

Erik van der Poel wrote:
> If we had the string mit.edu in an email, where the 'm' was full-width
> and .edu was operated by an unscrupulous or error-prone registry
> operator, cutting and pasting that string into an IDNA-unaware browser
> would take the user to the wrong MIT.

Such an unscrupulous registry operator would not be enabled for IDN in
Firefox.

Are we not going round the same circle we went round before, about
exactly which spoofing questions it's appropriate to fix at a protocol
level and which it's reasonable to punt higher up? I thought that some
sort of sensible consensus on that had been reached a while back. Maybe
I was reading things over-optimistically.

Gerv