The lookalike problem(s)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Mon Nov 27 01:21:39 CET 2006

Michael,

Please stop for a moment and think about the problem the engineers have.
They are trying to determine whether a relatively simply-described algorithm
would produce a suitable subset of the UNICODEs for use in IDNs. This is
simply an exercise. If it doesn't work, for a variety of reasons, we will be
back to considering every character, one at a time, still trying to group
them so as to determine which subsets can be used freeely within a given
label in a domain name. So far, the exercise seems to me to point in that
direction, but this was worth trying.

Moreover, it is vital that you appreciate the difference between the set of
expressions that it is reasonable to support for IDNs and the production of
general language. It is NOT the same thing. In fact, it is absolutely clear
that we cannot support general language in IDNs, for many of the character
sets under consideration. The problem of confusables contributes
significantly to this limitation. If you continue to view IDN space as a
space for general discourse, you will come to completely unsuitable
conclusions about the pragmatic solution for choice of characters to permit
in IDNs.

Vint

Vinton G Cerf
Chief Internet Evangelist