UTC Agenda Item: IDNA proposal

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Nov 24 15:37:56 CET 2006

At 15:09 +0100 2006-11-24, Harald Alvestrand wrote:

>>Are the Greek letters looking simmilar to the Latin letters going to be
>>banned from the standard next? Sorry, but this reasoning is
>>ludicrous. What is the problem you are trying  to solve?
>
>Engineering, also called "finding the point of equitably distributed pain".

Yes, well this is a linguistic exercise, and my depression at this
amateurism grows more and more. In fact it makes me angry.

>Greek lookalikes can be partially solved by a "don't change scripts
>in mid-label" rule.

Quite so, which is what I have argued for since I first heard of IDN.

>Since IPA is part of the Latin block, that's not a solution for it.

Yes but on the "permitted" list for Latin are a good many pretty
ludicrous things. I do not mean to be disrespectful. I know that you
are trying to do well. But you are not doing well. Please find the
resources to get real linguistic expertise involved.