UTC Agenda Item: IDNA proposal

Sam Vilain sam.vilain at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Nov 23 21:30:58 CET 2006

John C Klensin wrote:
> Sam, to add a bit to Yangwoo's comments, with which I agree, there
> are two problems with "permissive and then restrict".
>
> The first is that many of the restrictions will inevitably be
> applied after bad experiences.   One of the faster ways to kill
> whatever utility is left in IDNs (see comment below) is to create a
> reputation in which we are making a new restriction every few
> weeks, based on the attacks, possibly widely-publicized attacks, of
> the intervening period. Especially since IDNA is client-based,
> reaction and upgrade time to deploy restrictions is likely to be
> slow to reach even the 80% level, making things even worse.

Fair points.  How about, for characters that have not had the
script-aware decision made on them, get categorised as "Pending"
rather than "Exclude" ?  Then it is fairly obvious that the decision
making process is incomplete.

--
Sam Vilain, Systems Architect, Catalyst IT (NZ) Ltd.
phone: +64 4 499 2267        PGP ID: 0x66B25843