UTC Agenda Item: IDNA proposal

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Nov 23 21:07:14 CET 2006

Though a rank layman in this matter, starting with a restricted set and
opening it up as it appears to be feasible strikes me as a prudent step.
Getting linguists involved has benefit and risk. It would be quite easy to
argue strongly that every character is needed for full expressiveness - such
an argument would likely stem from a serious lack of appreciation both of
the DNS itself and the potential destructive interference of various
characters drawn from distinct languages. I would assume, perhaps wrongly,
that some linguistic experts would not necessarily be aware of the lookalike
problems or even care about them if they know of them, in the absence of the
context of DNS use in URLs, email addresses and the like.

Vint

Vinton G Cerf
Chief Internet Evangelist
Google