UTC Agenda Item: IDNA proposal

Sam Vilain sam.vilain at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Nov 23 04:26:01 CET 2006

John C Klensin wrote:
> The reason that most of the Indic scripts have been
> _temporarily_ excluded is that the Indian Government and several
> collections of the right sort of linguists are examining this
> work and, unlike some of the generalizations above, doing so
> with relatively full understanding of the constraints involved.
> We would like them to advise us (and, ideally, UTC) on the right
> set of handling requirements to meet their needs and that of the
> DNS, so that rules can be established based on their advice,
> rather than making up rules and then trying to fit either the
> rules or their advice into each other in a style that would make
> Procrustean beds feel comfortable and flexible.

Thanks John, that's useful, glad to see it's not as bad as I thought.

However I still think that the "default" policy for scripts, until
some reliable word comes from a reasonable representative, should be
permissive, unless they are specifically suspected to have problems...

> For many, but certainly not all, languages, we do have some
> contact with relevant parties via ccTLD administrations.  And we
> are working on it (the more we know before some of us go to
> ICANN in a week and a half and start talking with some of
> _those_ people, the better off we will all be.
Well, have a good time in São Paulo.  Note that Guaraní, spoken in
Paraguay and nearby countries, is one of those languages that use the
apostrophe as a phoneme.  So go find an Paraguayan representative and
ask him how important the "puso" is to writing words in their language
:-).

--
Sam Vilain, Systems Architect, Catalyst IT (NZ) Ltd.
phone: +64 4 499 2267        PGP ID: 0x66B25843