Mixing scripts

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Thu Dec 28 17:55:25 CET 2006

--On Thursday, December 28, 2006 10:25 AM +0100 Kent Karlsson
<kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se> wrote:

> It's good to see that (at last) there is support for IDNs.
> However, I don't find it a good idea to have that IE allows it
> in one way, Firefox
> in another, etc. The rules for what is allowed in IDNs and what
> is not should be common for all (browsers, email clients,
> etc.). It is clear, I hope, that the current rules-for-all
> w.r.t. IDNs (laid down in the IDNA related RFCs) are currently
> not sufficiently restrictive.

While I agree that this would be desirable in principle, in
practice it just won't happen.   First, note that browsers
already differ on what to do about abbreviated URLs and have for
years.  Some add TLDs, some initiate a searching procedure, some
try something and then branch to the search engine of their
choices... and some even give the user control over these
options.  In addition, different browsers localize to non-ASCII
environments in different ways, some more radically than others,
so interpretation of slightly-strange names may differ from
locality to locality, even for what is nominally the same
version of the same browser.  Those differences in behavior
occur today even in the absence of IDNs: the batter for uniform
UI behavior is long since lost.

In addition, it is not clear to me that complete uniformity is
desirable, especially when one moves to environments that are
very different from Western European languages, with RtoL ones
standing out as particular examples.