Mixing scripts (Re: Unicode versions (Re:Criteriaforexceptional characters))

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Wed Dec 27 05:32:26 CET 2006

At 19:30 06/12/26, Soobok Lee wrote:

>Some jamo consonant sequences of labels may have user demands,
>for example, (KI-EOK)(NI-EUN)(DI-GEUD).com may make appeals like
>(abc).com in ascii world.
>
>but as for jamo vowels, I agree with you. It won't be so useful.
>BTW, ML.com already accepted some vowel jamo only IDN.com.
>( XN--QSD.COM == ( vowel A).com already registered.
>  http://xn--qsd.com/ seems  only for forwarding purpose.
>)

That was probably not a good idea. I know many registries
have lower bounds on the length of a name that you can register.
While the optimal lower bound may differ from script to script,
handing out single-letter labels isn't a very good idea.

>If russia and korea become more intimate in the future (????),
> and we often see cyrillic alphabets on the shop signboards,
> and then there may arise demands for hangul+cyrillic mixture and
> hangul+cyrillic IME  that can facilitate input of cyrillic
> characters with hanguls.

It's not even so much a question of Russia and Korea becoming
closer. There are quite a number of Korean-speaking people
in Russia near the (North-)Korean border. They probably use
both scripts. Also, there are quite a few people in China
near the (North-)Korean border that speak Korean (I'm
not speaking about the North-Korean refugees in that area,
but Chinese citicens.) In both cases, they will be using
two scripts. (That doesn't necessarily mean that they have
a need to mix these scripts in domain name labels, but
it definitely doesn't exclude such a need.)

>Currently, hangul and CJK have input methods but other scripts
>above share special character input  method for circled a  etc
>(in Windows).

In Windows XP, it is very easy to activate input methods. Most
of them are already installed (as far as I remember, East Asian
input methods, in a default installation, are only installed for
the system language, whereas a great number of simple keyboard
'input methods' is installed by default).
Something similar applies for other systems, such as the Mac.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp