Mixing scripts

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Sat Dec 23 00:03:52 CET 2006

Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Mostly true, but there is an important exception. Nameprep section 6
> (bidi checking) works on the whole label, not just on individual
> characters. Fortunately, the rule defined there (inherited from
> Stringprep) is extremely simple to describe and therefore to
> implement.

The "all the chars from the same script (plus common and inherited)"
is just as simple a rule, more correct, and prevents more spoofs.
So indeed the same-scripts rule, as explained by Mark, is a
generalisation and correction of this already existing (but somewhat
flawed) rule. It needs an additional slight modification allowing
the "Japn" mix (in one "label"), but IFAIK there is no particular
need for any other similar mix (not even for Korean, for instance).

So it is certaily not a big leap to put this in "the protocol" (in
"stringprep" actually). A similar (though more limited and flawed)
rule already exists.

I would add that the first character should be a base character,
and some "common" characters should be omitted, but that are
other unrelated rules.

	/kent k