Leaving out scripts (Re: Unicode versions (Re: Criteria for exceptional characters))

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Fri Dec 22 08:26:43 CET 2006

That's an interesting one. I tried it in both Firefox and IE, and both
went to Amazon (and failed). I believe the rules say that you parse
from the double-slash until the single-slash or the end of the URL to
get the network location, which includes user:password at host:port, but
http does not officially include the user:password (though some user
agents support it). For the slash-related spec, see section 2.4.3 in:

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1808.txt

Or were you referring to non-ASCII slash look-alikes? I believe Mark
was talking about pure ASCII.

Erik