baking into the protocol

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Thu Dec 21 12:19:33 CET 2006

At 19:18 06/12/21, Michael Everson wrote:
>At 19:08 +0900 2006-12-21, Martin Duerst wrote:
>
>>Yes. The amount of danger comming from script mixtures depends extremely strongly on the scripts involved. That's why any kind of general solution, even in the form of a recommendation, is probably a bad idea.
>
>It is shocking to me how blithe you seem to be about security.

Sorry, but that's not the case at all. Security is of course
very important.

>A huge swathe of potential problems (including digit spoofing in Brahmic scripts) is solved with a script-mixing ban.

Yes. And many harmless script combinations are disallowed,
too, for no good reasons. If India e.g. decides that they
don't want to allow any Brahmic digits, but are happy
with the combination of e.g. Devanagari and Oriya
(which look completely different), then that should be
their decision, and not ours.

>There are many other potential problems which need addressing too, within scripts.

Quite so.

>I stand by my caveat. I don't see a better or safer solution.

The safest Internet is one where nobody is connected.
The safest IDN standard is one that disallows everything.
We all clearly don't want that. What I want is to make sure
that we don't cut off things that we don't need to cut off.

Regards,     Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp