Mixing scripts (Re: Unicode versions (Re: Criteria for exceptional characters))

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Dec 21 11:45:56 CET 2006

Michael Everson wrote:
> The reason I suggest it is that it is SAFER. If the actual protocol
> actually disallows mixing in labels, rogues cannot spoof. AT ALL. And I
> mean even in other levels of the label, like preventing
> http://paypal.evertype.com with a Cyrillic <a> or <p>. If the actual
> protocol bans this  behaviour (apart from permitted mixing as for
> Japanese or Korean), the Internet is made safer.

Why would you, the owner of evertype.com, want to spoof people visiting
your subdomains?

I don't think there's much disagreement that script mixing should be
banned in almost all cases. The question arises about where best to
implement the ban. If we are certain we can forsee all possible needs
for script mixing now, perhaps we could put it in the IDNA standard.

> The only reason I can think of for allowing the mixing of Latin,
> Cyrillic, and Greek letters is to allow registrars and/or registries
> make bucketloads of money on such mixed labels.

I agree entirely.

Gerv